2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Monday, July 25, 2011

Technology...Love it or hate it?

With the technology we have available to us today, we are able to do so many incredible things. And one of the biggest ways that technology has changed our culture is in the way we communicate with each other. Today, I used modern technology to communicate in two diffent ways, and I have to say, I didn't have two good experiences.

I spent a good part of today working on updating the format and layout of my blog. I truly do love to blog and keep you all up to date on our lives, but I've always felt it was a little simple and plain. I just wanted to spruce it up a little. So I enlisted the help of a friend who has been blogging longer than me and who has a much better looking blog than I do. What I discovered is that it is hard and very frustrating to get it looking the way you want it. My friend was very patient with me as I didn't have a clue what I was doing. Once we finally got the header looking acceptable (and by we I mean she), I went to add it to my blog and it was huge. We couldn't figure out why or how to fix it. After trying over and over again, I finally noticed a box that said shrink to fit. So I checked it and what do you know. The picture wasn't so big any more. After she left, I spent more time working on backgrounds and colors and after a lot of head scratching, I got it to where it is acceptable. There is still one thing I can't figure out how to fix and I thing some of the design is a work in progress. But I had enough frustration for one day.

Now all technology is not so bad. For instance, I'd like to say to the person who developed skype, you are a genius. Tommy has been gone on a work trip since Thursday night of last week. Since he is out of the country, we don't get to talk very much. We do talk to each other once a day, but I know that John is missing his daddy. The other morning, we skyped with each other, but we only had a few minutes. John seemed more confused by the concept than anything. We didn't get the opportunity to skype yesterday since Tommy had a really long day. So this evening we tried again. This time as soon as John saw his daddy on the screen, he got very excited. We sat there for quite a while as the two of them had a nice conversation. He apparently had a lot to tell his daddy. He also laughed at him a lot. And when Tommy would lean in toward the screen, John would do the same thing. It was the highlight of my day to see him so happy to see his daddy's face. I wish I had some pictures of John's face or better yet a video of him. Maybe that would be a good update for Skype, to allow users to record a video of the conversation.

So you be the judge. Do you love how far technology has come over the last 10 years, or does it make you want to pull your hair out? I know one thing. Once I get my blog just the way I like it, I may never change it again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like the changes to your blog!

I love technology! When I think about how Deaf people used to use fax machines "back in the days" to communicate and now can use smartphones to text or use video relay where the operator signs for the hearing person and voices for the Deaf person. WOW!

Now technology can eat a lot of my time because I do like to play but over all I love it!