2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Happy Anniversary!

On June 30, 2001, I said "I Do" to the love of my life.  10 years later, he is still the love of my life and has also become my best friend.  Anytime something happens, good or bad, he's the first person I want to tell.  I would rather spend time with him than anyone else.  He makes me laugh (and sometimes cry).  Over these past 10 years, I have grown to love him more than I ever thought I would.

We decided this was the best time to take our first ever overnight trip without John.  I have to say that I never thought this day would come, but we finally made it happen.  Well, I have to say that Tommy made it happen.  He planned all of the details and just told me where we were going.  He arranged for my parents to come and stay with John for the weekend.  It worked out perfectly that we were able to get away on July 4th weekend so it was a long weekend.  That gave us more time away since my parents didn't have to go home until Monday.  And he planned for us to stay two nights at Lost Pines Resort in Bastrop, Texas, which is just outside of Austin.  There is actually a funny story that goes with that.

When I took John for his 6 year check-up with his pediatrician, she asked me if we were getting out to the movies or dinner by ourselves like she had ordered us to do.  She is great and always making sure that we take care of ourselves as well as John.  I told her we were actually planning a trip for our anniversary.  She asked where we were going.  At the time we had a reservation at Barton Creek in Austin because when Tommy called Lost Pines, they were booked for the weekend.  So I told her that.  She asked if I wanted her to call Lost Pines and talk them into giving us a reservation.  She was dead serious.  I didn't think there was anything she could do, but I gave her the number to the resort and the dates that we wanted to check in and out.  A week or two later, she called one night and talked to Tommy.  She asked if we had heard from the resort and he told her we hadn't.  She said she would check into it.  The very next weekend, I got a call from the resort, telling us that they had spoken to Dr. Miller and they had a room available for us if we still wanted it.  By this time, we had changed our reservation to the Marriott Resort in San Antonio.  But since Dr. Miller did what she did for us, we thought we should go ahead and stay at Lost Pines.  So I have to say Kudos to you, Dr. Miller.  You are definitely our favorite doctor!

The weekend finally arrived and we actually didn't back out.  We have tried 2 or 3 times in the past to go away for the weekend, and we always changed our minds for some reason.  But this time we stuck to it.  We left on Saturday morning.  Since our official check-in time wasn't until 3:00, we took a round about way there.  We first went to Luling, Texas so we could stop at the Buc cees!  If you haven't been to a Buc ees, you have to some time.  They are only in Texas, and they are the biggest convenience store around.  They also have the cleanest public restrooms you will ever find.  They have a gigantic store attached where you can buy t-shirts and plenty of other things.  About 1/2 of John's wardrobe has come from Buc ees.  After we left from there, we drove a few miles down the road to Lockhart, Texas to eat some barbecue.  And then, since we were in the area, we decided to go to the outlet mall in San Marcos.  We only went into a couple of stores, but we both came away with new clothes.  Finally, we headed to the resort.

Once we got there and got checked in, we changed into our swimsuits and headed out to the pool.  They have a lazy river around the pool that is 1000 feet.  This is where we spent most of our weekend.  If you have never gotten into a tube, let me tell you there is no graceful way to get on or off of one.  That provided a few comedic moments for us.  Fortunately there are no pictures of it.  We stayed on the lazy river until about 6:00 that evening.  We had scheduled to do a sunset float on the Colorado River and we had to meet at 6:45 in the lobby.  The relaxing float we were expecting turned out to be a rafting trip where we actually had to paddle.  It was not a comfortable raft and it was hot and humid.  That was not what we wanted to do.  But we made it back to the resort and were finally able to get cleaned up.

The next day we actually slept in until 10:30.  I haven't slept that late in years.  So we had an early lunch and then took a walk around the property.  We eventually ended up back at the pool, where we spent most of the rest of the day.  That night we cleaned up and then went to their nicest restaurant for our anniversary dinner.  We decided to sit out on their balcony overlooking the grounds.  It was a nice night and we enjoyed a delicious dinner. 



We want to say a special thanks to the people who helped make this trip special.  First and foremost, to my parents for keeping John for the weekend.  It would never have been possible without them being willing to help out.  And I should say that when we got home, John acted like he hadn't missed us one minute.  He had a great time with Gram and Pop.  Also thanks to Dr. Miller for helping us get the reservation.  She went above and beyond typical pediatrician duties for us on this one.  But then again, she has done that since the day we met.  And a special thank you to our very dear friends who arranged for us to have a bottle of wine waiting for us in our room when we got there.  They were just as excited about our getaway as we were.  You guys Rock!!!

Although, it has been a very wild and crazy 10 years, I would do it all again.  I can't wait to see what the next ten years has in store for us.

My view of the pool
Lounging by the pool.
10 years of Marriage!

1 comment:

The Paradis Family said...

That is just the sweetest thing ever....I LOVE John's pediatrician and I don't even know her!!! You guys so deserved this and I am so glad y'all had such a great time!! Great pictures of a beautiful couple!!! Happy Anniversary :)