2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Hustle and Bustle

The beginning of my week in Ohio was nice and relaxing.  I slept as late as I wanted, I was fed 3 meals a day without having to think about what to have, I came and went as I pleased and I watched a lot of TV and played on my computer.  Since I checked into the hospital yesterday afternoon, it has been anything but relaxing.

I knew my heart beat was high and erratic.  I can feel that.  But because I was relaxing and not doing much, I didn't feel bad.  Apparently, my heart rate doesn't sit so well with the doctors here.  I have met about 7 different doctors and a nurse practitioner so far, and I haven't even been here 24 hours.  The nursing staff is great.  I am in a corner room, which is bigger than the average room.  I like to call it the penthouse suite.  It makes me feel a little better.  I have no overall complaints with the facilities or the care.  I must say, for being in the north, everyone I have encountered here has been very friendly.

But the doctors don't seem to know what to do with my high rate.  I think their initial reaction is to throw medicine at it, but with the procedure tomorrow, not much can be given because if you suppress the arrhythmia, then it will be difficult for the doctors to find where it's coming from in order to get rid of it.  So I've been fighting them a little bit on that.  Yesterday they gave me a small oral dose of a drug to help bring my heart rate down some.  But it is short acting and doesn't stay in the system long.  My heart rate has been consistently 140-150 and they ideally would like it to be below 100.  They have given me a few IV doses of the same drug and that works in the short term, but then my heart rate goes back up.  One doctor told me this morning they wanted to start an IV drip of a medicine that would help, and I refused to take it until one of 3 particular doctors said it was ok to take.  I came all this way and I'm not going to risk messing things up for the procedure tomorrow.  The decision was finally made that as long as I feel okay with the heart rate where it is, they would not give me any more medicine.  My momma would be so proud of me for standing my ground.

Speaking of IV's, that is always tricky with me.  I don't know if it's because I've been stuck so many times over the years or because I tend to not drink much fluids during the day, but starting an IV on me has always been fairly difficult.  Yesterday, the nurse tried once and couldn't get it.  So they brought in a cool ultrasound machine that allows them to see where the veins are so they can get an IV started.  Well apparently, even with the ultrasound, they could only find one spot to start the IV and that was in the bend of my elbow on my right arm.  Seriously, my right arm?  So I'm trying to do whatever I can to make sure this IV stays and they don't have to try and start a new one.

As I was writing this, 4 new doctors came in to see me.  I cannot keep them all straight.  None of them are who I want to be seeing.  But I am supposed to be getting a visit from one of the main 3 sometime this morning.  The "main 3" as I call them consist of my favorite doctor in the whole wide world, Dr. K, who is a pediatric electrophysiologist, Another Dr. K, who is an adult electrophysiologist, and Dr. D, who is a cardiologist that specializes in adults with congenital heart disease.  Those kinds of doctors are few and far between, which makes being an adult with congenital heart disease difficult.  Nobody really knows what to do with me.  That's why I think this team that is assembled here is the best way to go about it.  You have doctors from different specialties working together to make everything come together.  Hopefully it will.

The only down side today has been that I haven't been given breakfast yet, and now it's 10:30.  Someone put orders in yesterday that said I was not to have anything to eat or drink after midnight last night, but it was supposed to be after midnight tonight.  So they didn't have a breakfast tray ordered for me.  The PCA came in about 30 minutes ago and ordered food for me, but I haven't received it yet.  By the time I finish breakfast, my lunch tray will be arriving.  But, if that is the only hiccup, I can deal with it.

Right now, I'm just waiting for Tommy to get here.  His flight is supposed to land around 11am, which should put him at the hospital no later than noon.  I'm looking forward to seeing him.  Everyone keeps asking if anyone is with me, and I think they feel sorry for me that I'm by myself.  I honestly don't mind it and honestly, since I've been in the hospital, I haven't been by myself much.  Every time I look up, someone different is walking in.

I miss my Johnny at home.  I am going to try to FaceTime with him today if I can be alone long enough.  I know he's in good hands with Caitlin, but I also know how difficult keeping him occupied can be.  I think Caitlin has a few outings planned with him though.  Yesterday she took him shopping, and I know he loves that.

Well, my food has arrived and at the same time the lady coming to give me an echo walked in.  So I need to go and eat so I can have the echo done afterward.  Certainly never a dull moment around here.

No comments: