2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Summer Fun

Last weekend, Tommy and I celebrated our 11th anniversary. If you recall, last year we went away for the weekend for the first time since John was born. It was a really big ordeal for us to leave overnight without him, but we had so much fun. So we decided to do it again this year. On Friday, we left around 1:00 and set out for San Antonio.

 We spent the next two nights at the JW Marriott Hill Country resort. We had lots of good food to eat and of course plenty of time to enjoy the pool and lazy river. Friday night, after a couple of hours in the pool, we enjoyed a casual dinner at the sports bar at the resort and because we were both so tired, went to bed early. After sleeping late on Saturday (oh how I miss doing that) we had a late breakfast and then spent a good bit of the afternoon floating the lazy river and hanging out in the adults only pool. We also did a few trips down the water slide, where Tommy thought it would be fun to flip my tube over, sending me underwater. Fun for him, not so much for me. We had planned on a later dinner, so after taking a late afternoon nap, we went to the golf clubhouse, where they have a very nice steakhouse. Again, we were both pretty tired, so we called it an early night. When I asked Tommy what his favorite part of the weekend was, he said sleeping late. I have to say that I agree. It really was nice to be away together with no responsibility and no need to need to keep an eye on the clock. I think we may try to make this an anniversary tradition.

11 Years of marriage


Of course today is July 4th. Such a fun holiday for families. One of my favorite July 4th holidays was the year we went to see my brother in Arkansas and the family rented a boat and spent the day out on the lake. It was such a fun and relaxing day and I wish we were able to spend more holidays like that. That's just one more reason I hope JT gets his trach out very soon. We aren't able to do any kind of swimming with him because of the trach, and without the pool to keep us cool, it's too hot to spend any amount of time outside. So today we went to lunch at the brand new Rudy's Barbecue here in Katy. Today was their first day open, and while I'm generally a little hesitant about trying a brand new place until they get the kinks worked out, I thought it was pretty good. And we got there at a good time, because by the time we left, the line was out the door. It was a very popular idea today. Now I'm sitting in my recliner, while JT naps and Tommy snores on the sofa. It is thundering outside, so maybe we'll get a little rain.

Because of the holiday, this week was a dead week for John's therapies. But next week, we'll be back at it. His horse therapy is really going well. He is loving the time he spends riding, and I have noticed it making a difference. During his first session, he didn't last the entire 45 minutes, and he spent a good majority of the time lying down on the horse. But last week, he rode the full time and spent most of the time sitting up. They are really working to get him sitting up straight. I've seen him doing that more at home too. He has 3 more sessions for the summer and then they take a break until September. Pray that a spot will open up for him and he'll be able to continue riding in the fall. I feel like more time spent on the horse for him could really make a difference. If he could strengthen his core and learn some trunk control, it could really go a long ways toward him being able to walk.

Other than therapy, our weeks have been pretty easy going. I almost have to really think to come up with ideas for us to get out of the house. Again, the heat is too bad to do much outside, and indoor activities are kind of limited. So I take him with me to the store when I can and yesterday, we just went for a walk around the mall. It was good exercise for me and he got a frozen yogurt treat at the end. We've also gone to see a couple of movies. We enjoy going to Studio Movie Grill because each week they show a different older kids movie and it's just $1 for kids and $2 for adults to get in. That's probably the best indoor activity I can come up with. In a couple of weeks, our niece, Jennifer, will be coming to stay with us so that will liven up the place a little. While he'll still have therapy and a few doctor's appointments, we'll still find some fun things to do while she's here. And he'll have a good time with her, even if we stay at home.

Have a Happy July 4th! Enjoy the time with your families!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how sleeping in is such a treat after you have kids? Jason let me sleep in until 7:30 this morning! haha Congratulations on 11 years of marriage!!!