2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Monday, May 9, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

I know I am late, but I want to wish a happy Mother's Day to all of the mom's out there.  It really is a special day.  We all know that mom's do so much for their children everyday, and there should be more than one day a year to recognize that.  But in true mom fashion, we settle for just the one special day.  Sometimes, it's nice to stretch into a weekend though.

The past few Mother's Days have been pretty low key in our house.  I don't usually get to go and see my mom because we go at Easter, and typically Easter falls so close to Mother's Day.  It's hard for us to make the trip twice in a short period of time.  That was the case this year, but I took a different approach.  I invited my parents to come and spend the weekend with us.

We decided to celebrate on Saturday.  I knew they would be leaving Sunday afternoon to go home.  I also know that getting into a restaurant on Mother's Day after church, would be nearly impossible, unless we wanted a two hour wait.  Saturday, I took my mom to have a mother/daughter pedicure.  The salon I go to has three different levels of pedicure.  I usually just get the cheapest one.  But I decided since it was for my mom, to get the top of the line.  It was very nice and relaxing.  Funny enough, we both liked the same color polish, so we now have matching toes, although my mom's feet are way bigger than mine. (Sorry mom)  Then we had a surprise visit from my sister-in-law and niece.  So the four of us plus John, loaded the car and drove about 15 minutes to our favorite snow cone stand.  My mother is from New Orleans and for whatever reason, New Orleans has the best snow cones.  It's nearly impossible to find a place that is as good.  They also don't call them snow cones in New Orleans.  They call them snoballs.  So when I found a place near here that sold "New Orleans style snoballs" I knew they were genuine.  So it is a treat to her to have a good old fashion snoball.  After we left the snoball stand, we went to the mall.  Mom was looking for something for her upcoming trip to the Grand Canyon.  If you know me at all, you know the mall is not my favorite place.  But I was a good daughter and took her to look for what she needed.  Unfortunately, she didn't find what she was looking for.  But it was fun to spend time together.  That night, my wonderful husband cooked us a delicious meal of steak and shrimp along with baked potatoes.  We put John to bed early and were able to enjoy a nice quiet dinner out on the patio.  It was a beautiful evening.  My husband also surprised me with a brand new coffee maker.  I'm not a huge coffee person, but I do enjoy a cup every now and then.  I told him not long ago that I wanted a new coffee maker, one that didn't have the karaft.  I was sick of cleaning that thing.  So he got me the new fancy Keurig coffee maker that brews many different kinds of coffee.  I love it. and was happy to enjoy a delicious cup this morning.

Sunday we went to church, then came home and relaxed.  I tried putting John down for our regular Sunday nap, but he was having none of that.  So he and I laid in bed and watched some cute videos on YouTube.  He loves watching videos on my iPhone.  That afternoon I took him on a wagon ride, which is one of his favorite activities.  Unfortunately, he is getting too big for his wagon.  He has already broken one of the seats and made it into more of a recliner.  So pulling him for too long makes my back hurt.  The ride was short, but the weather was nice to enjoy.

So all in all, it was a successful and relaxing weekend.  I'm glad I got to spend the time with my mother and of course I love all the time I get to spend with my son.  He was more than thrilled to spend time with his Gram and Pop Pop.  That boy loves his Gram and I just about don't exist when she is around.  It's so fun to watch him with her.

2 comments:

The Paradis Family said...

Happy Mother's Day to you! You are one of the most incredible mothers I have ever met...your sweet family is so blessed to have you in their life!!! :)

Joanna said...

Thanks, Jaime. I cannot wait for your babies to get here so you can see how incredible motherhood is. You are going to be a FANTASTIC mom. What lucky babies you have!