2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Craziness!

The last few weeks have been quite a whirlwind.  Our normal routine has been out of sync for about 2 weeks now and it's been crazy.  Today is the first day that has felt "normal" in quite a while and hopefully it will stay that way for a while.

Two weekends ago, John began to get sick.  On that Sunday night, he didn't sleep well and even woke up during the night crying, which is something he never does.  The next morning, I took him to therapy.  It was supposed to be his first day of Physical Therapy.  About half way through his OT, he started making unhappy faces and he had tears falling from his eyes.  I didn't know what was bothering him, but I knew he didn't feel well.  So I decided to take him home and skip the physical therapy.  It was a school holiday so we just stayed home the rest of the day and rested.

That evening, while eating dinner, his tummy got upset and he vomited everywhere.  He really hadn't had much to eat or drink that day, so I was shocked with how much was actually in his stomach.  Thank goodness that Tommy was home and he took over the clean up efforts.  That was a big mess.  So needless to say, he stayed home from school the next day.  I thought he was feeling better and would be back to school on Wednesday, but after we put him to bed that night. he got sick again.  So he stayed home Wednesday.  He managed to stay well all day Wednesday and made it to school on Thursday and Friday.

Saturday, we took a day trip to San Antonio to celebrate the 7th birthday of a very special friend at Morgan's Wonderland.  I have talked about Blake before.  We met him and his family during the time John spent in the NICU at Texas Children's Hospital.  We have been friends and have kept in touch ever since.  He will always be John's very first friend.  In case you don't remember, Morgan's Wonderland is an ultra accessible park in San Antonio that allows children of all abilities the opportunity to play together.  We always enjoy spending time there.  After several hours of fun and some yummy birthday cake, we headed home.  John got fussy on the car ride home, and that was my first sign that he wasn't feeling 100%.

We got home that evening and John began to have tummy troubles again.  This time it was the other end that was giving him trouble.  I will spare you the details on that.  So after having his diaper changed by the nurse every hour that night and into the morning, we finally gave him some Imodium on Sunday morning and that seemed to take care of it.  I planned to keep him home on Monday to rest.  Monday night I went to dinner with some friends, and right before we left to come home, Tommy called and told me that John had gotten sick again after going to bed.  At this point I felt like it was never going to end.  So we kept him home again on Tuesday and this time took him to see the doctor.  She said it was just a virus and to keep him hydrated as best as we could. 

Meanwhile, Tommy was on vacation this whole week, so he was home and around John more than normal.  So while I planned to keep John home again on Wednesday, I did not plan on Tommy waking up Wednesday morning sick.  I was having flashes of a terrible week we had a couple of years ago when John had a stomach bug that I eventually got and Tommy had his "near fatal illness" all at the same time.  Fortunately, Tommy was only sick for that one day and was feeling back to normal by Thursday.  We sent John to school on Thursday, only to get a call 2 hours into the day that he was not feeling well and needed to come home.  I think he just didn't have his full strength back yet and didn't have the energy to make it through the day.  We sent him to school on Friday and he did well.  Today is his third day back to school and he seems to be doing well, but now he's gotten very congested and we are fighting to keep the trach clear of secretions and to keep the area around the trach clean and dry.  So it just feels like he is never going to be completely well.  I will be so happy to get my John all of the way back.

Friday, I was supposed to sub for Junior High Girl's PE, and then afterward, Tommy and I were leaving to go to Baton Rouge for the LSU/Auburn game.  We were planning to leave John home with my parents so we could enjoy the weekend by ourselves.  I woke up Friday morning feeling terrible.  There was no way I could have made it through the day feeling the way I did.  It's hard enough to make it through a day of Junior High when you are at full strength.  So I called in sick and stayed home and slept most of the day.  I was finally feeling some better, so we decided to go ahead and go to Baton Rouge.

We stayed the weekend with my good friend, ChristyPitre family here in Katy, who sold us their season tickets for that game.  The seats couldn't have been better.  They were under an overhang so it was shady and there was a nice breeze.  The seats also had seat backs so it was more comfortable to sit there.  Watching the Tigers beat Auburn pretty bad made me feel so much better.  Overall it was a fun weekend.

Yesterday, I did go to work in Junior High Girl's PE, so Tommy took one more day of vacation so he could take John to his therapies and then to school.  He seemed to have a good day at school.  I went to the doctor to find out why I still had a sore throat and came home with an antibiotic and steroid to hopefully get me well.  Today, was the first normal morning we have had in quite a while, and it was nice to get John on the school bus and be able to come in and drink my coffee and relax.  Hopefully there are more of these days to come in the near future.  Now, if I can figure where to start to get my house put back together.

No comments: