2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Birthdays Everywhere!

This is the first of two times during the year where our family celebrates several birthdays.  It starts on January 18, with my nephew William.  I've already told you how special he is and how much I love him.  The next birthday was my mother's on January 27.  I didn't get a chance to tell you how special she is to me.  So I wanted to take some time to do so.

January 27, 1950 is when Carol Ann Cole came into this world.  Yes, I just put the date and made it easy to figure out her age, but she is not shy to tell you how old she is.  She is proud of her age.  She is the only daughter of Bill and Hannah Cole.  And she is the baby sister (by 18 years) to brother Bob Cole.  She has been married to my dad, Chip Mayes, for almost 39 years.  But probably her most important and most successful role has been mother to Jimmie, Jason and myself.  And now, she is the proud grandmother to Kash, John Thomas, William and will welcome her 4th grandchild sometime in August.

I cannot tell you how much my mother has meant to me all of these years.  Of course I was the typical child who thought my mother didn't know what I she was talking about.  But now that I'm a wife and mother, I find myself doing and saying the same things as her.  And even though I don't often tell her, she is right most of the time.

Mom has always been supportive in everything that we have done.  She has sacrificed so much for us.  We didn't always get everything that we wanted, but we always had everything we needed.  She drove for field trips and summer softball and baseball tournaments.  She never missed a softball, baseball or football game that we participated in nor did she ever miss a band function that we were a part of.  Even in college, she and dad went to many of Jimmie's baseball games, even though his school was 5 hours away and they went to almost every home football game that my college band was at.

She has instilled in us family values and a faith in God that we will carry over to our children.  I remember her telling me that she would never lie to me, and she never did.  She was always upfront and honest, even though sometimes the truth hurt.  She never made us guess how much she loves us.

So to my wonderful mother, I say Happy 61st birthday!  I wish you many more years of happiness!


Christmas 2009


February 3, 1978 is the day that I came into this world.  I was born in Kinder, Louisiana at Allen Parish Hospital.  Shortly after I was born, the doctor's noticed something wasn't quite right.  So I was sent by ambulance to Lake Charles, where I was diagnosed with a heart defect.  I was then flown to Ocshner Hospital in New Orleans where my first surgery was performed within the first 24 hours.  So already, I was a trouble maker.  At 13 months, I went through my second heart surgery to repair the defect.  The doctor must have done an excellent job, because for the rest of my childhood, I lived an ordinary life and did all of the things other kids my age did, including playing sports.

Growing up, I remember having birthday parties at McDonalds, Fontenot's Roller Rink, and Petro Bowl.  They were always fun times spent with a lot of good friends.

My most memorable birthday wasn't because of a fun party.  It was my 22nd birthday and it was the day my grandmother passed away.  I was student teaching that year and had a great day at school.  I got lots of birthday wishes from my kids and a wonderful bouquet of roses from Tommy, who was my boyfriend at the time.  I came home to find out the bad news.  I remember being sad at the time because my birthday would always be tainted with that memory.  But then my grandmother's sister told me that day how special it was that every year for my birthday, I could think of my grandmother and all of the good times we had.  And that is what I have tried to do.  So today, on my birthday I'd like to say, I miss you, Mom.  I look forward to seeing you again someday.

Today has been a pretty good day so far.  I woke up to sweet birthday hugs from my baby boy.  Tommy left me a very nice card along with one of my favorite chocolate bars.  I received lots of birthday wishes from my friends and I got to enjoy a nice lunch with my favorite guy.  I'm looking forward to John being home soon so I can get some snuggle time in.

February 5, 1999 is the day that God gave us Jennifer LeighAnn Hitt.  She is my one and only niece.  She is sweet and beautiful and one of the kindest little girls I have ever met.

2 days after my 21st birthday, I got a call at 5:00 in the morning telling me that she had been born.  I was so excited and couldn't wait to meet her.  Fortunately it was a Friday so I was able to go home for the weekend.  The only problem was my car was in the shop and I needed a ride to get there.  So I bummed a ride from Natchitoches to Leesville with my friend, Cassie, and then my friend Dena met me in Leesville and drove me to Kinder.  I finally got to the hospital with my mom and was blown away with how small and beautiful she was.  There was an instant bond between us and it has been there ever since.


John wanting his cousin's
attention.
 When Jenn was little she started calling me Jo Jo, but many times it came out as Do Do.  After a while it turned into Aunt Jo and that is what she still calls me today.  When you would ask her who her buddy was, she would reply "Jo Jo's buddy."

I have watched her grow up and in two days she will turn 12 years old.  I cannot believe it's been twelve years.  She is an amazing young girl with many talents and a great big heart.  She loves unconditionally and is the best big cousin to John.  Those two are peas in a pod.  Not only does she get excited to see him, but he lights up when she walks in the room.  He treats her just like a good little brother would, pulling her hair one second and giving her hugs and kisses the next.





I love this little girl so much and I look forward to watching her grow into a beautiful woman.  Happy 12th birthday, Jenn Jenn!



With her mother!





No comments: