2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Ramblings

Now that the holidays are over and all of the sickness seems to be gone (fingers crossed), there are a few other things going on. 

Yesterday, John went back to school for the first day after Christmas Break.  But first he had a dentist appointment.  Taking him to the dentist has always been pleasant.  I really enjoy the dentist office we go to.  Kids Healthy Teeth is amazing, not just with kids in general, but they have always been amazingly patient with my difficult child.  When I say difficult, I don't mean he kicks and screams.  He is so excited that he squirms and wiggles and it takes me plus two other ladies to hold him still while the hygienist cleans his teeth.  And he is such an oral kid, that anytime something goes into his mouth, he clamps down.  He's gotten a couple of fingers and even the little mirror.  But they are so incredibly patient with him and they sing to him while they are working.  It makes the experience so much easier.

Yesterday we went in for his 6 month check up.  Other than his teeth being really clean and not needing much work done, they discovered that his two bottom teeth are loose.  You would think that is something I would have noticed before now, but I generally keep my fingers far away from his chompers.  The last time we were there, we discussed what we would do when he started losing teeth.  Tommy and I have been very concerned about him losing his teeth and swallowing them.  We want to make sure that doesn't happen.  So the dentist told me that she would be glad to either pull them for me, or she would show me how to do it.  I wasn't so excited about the second option.  So I asked yesterday if they were ready to come out.  After a quick x-ray with a really cool device that looks similar to a radar gun, they saw that one of the teeth had very little root left.  So she said she would pull it for me.  Instead of doing an injection (like I always had to have), they applied a gel to his tooth and gum area to numb it.  Then 3 of us held him down while the dentist used a fancy set of pliers and yanked it right out.  Usually I don't have a problem watching when he has little procedures or things like this done, but I just couldn't watch this time.  Something about the thought of it grossed me out.  But before I could even hold my breath, the tooth was out and he was laughing.  Silly boy.  He looks so cute with a missing tooth...


Today I had my 6 week (10 weeks later) follow up appointment after my pacemaker surgery.  It was just a quick and easy check up so my doctor could see how I am healing and if the device is working properly.  I was supposed to do this the beginning of December, but of course, I was sick.  The appointment was fine and everything showed no problems.  I have been feeling great and am finally feeling better than I have since June.  Then my doctor decides to spring on me that he is moving to Florida next month.  WHAT????  I can't believe this is happening to me, AGAIN.

In June, Dr, Kertesz,the doctor I had been seeing for 12 years, told me that she was moving to Ohio.  I was devastated by that news.  I absolutely love her and couldn't imagine seeing anyone else.  I tend to be a bit of a complicated patient when it comes to my heart rhythms and she was the only one that could halfway decode what was going on.  She knew me backwards and forwards and when she saw things that other doctors would get concerned over, she knew that it is just what I do.  She knew when to worry and when not to worry and she was very good at making me not worry.  She took excellent care of me and I never, ever had to wonder how I was doing as long as she was keeping an eye on me.

Needless to say, I had a melt down when I found out she was leaving.  I contemplated for a long time, traveling to Ohio once a year just so I could continue to see her.  I didn't know how I was going to find another doctor that I was as comfortable with.  So when I started having problems in October, I was forced to see Dr. Decker, one of the other doctors at TCH.  The first time I met him, I liked him.  He was very similar to Dr. Kertesz and I immediately felt comfortable with him.  He explains things great and he knew exactly what he wanted to do.  So I finally felt a calm and peace about Dr. Kertesz leaving and knew I would be fine with Dr. Decker.

Now I have to start over again.  There are only two more doctors in that particular specialty left at TCH and one of them isn't seeing new patients.  I don't know what I am going to do.  It is so frustrating to be so comfortable with someone who takes care of you, and then have to start all over.  But, I found a doctor I like once when I never thought I would, and I suppose I will again.

Other than those things, there are two big football games for us to watch.  If you know me, then you know how much I love sports.  Friday night, our favorite college football team (LSU) is playing in the Cotton Bowl again the Texas A&M Aggies.  Although you do find quite a few LSU fans here in Houston, we are still in Texas and are overwhelmingly outnumbered by Aggie fans.  I could insert a few Aggie jokes here, but I'll hold back.  So it will be a big game on Friday and I'm sure there will be a lot of bragging going on afterwards, no matter who wins.

The other big game, and probably the one we care most about, is the New Orleans Saints playoff game on Saturday.  It is their first play off game this season.  Last season they were the number 1 seed and got a first round bye as well as the privilege to play on their home field each week.  This year they are the number 5 seed and will have to win one more game if they are going to make it back to the Superbowl.  They also will be playing their games away from home.  This week they travel to Seattle to play the Seahawks, who has a 7-9 record.  I have two thoughts about that.  First it's just wrong that a team with a losing record can win their division and host a first round playoff game against a team with an 11-5 record.  Second, I never say that the Saints should win.  There are a lot of factors such as weather and a hostile environment that can affect the outcome of the game.  I just hope the Saints play to their ability and have a fairly easy time in this game.  If they win, the competition is only going to get tougher.

No comments: